View Single Post
Old 09-09-08, 09:27 AM
savethekudzu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may need to talk with a sports medicine doctor.
That said:

Originally Posted by CCrew
I'd like to believe I am. I'm pretty sensitive to diet with the diabetes, but that does mean I have to keep a close eye on keeping the carbs down to also keep my A1C numbers down also. Have started supplementing with Whey protein drinks, doesn't really seem to help much. I do also take daily vitamins, always have bananas around, etc.
As a Type 2 diabetic, you want to make sure your blood glucose levels are kept within reasonable thresholds. I don't think that eating carbs is the problem: having unmetabolized carbs is the problem. If you burn them, they're metabolized, and there have to be ways of eating complex carbs before a ride, or simple carbs during it, so you'll have what you need. This may not be your problem, though.

I'll bet you that most Type 2 diabetics are being counseled to cut down on their caloric intake as much as they are because they're so sedentary they never use most of those calories. That's not the case with you. (Of course, you don't want to overdo it, either, but you are burning a lot of calories.)

I'm not a doctor (check with one), but do have family with diabetes.

Probably not, but no more or less than I've always gotten. I average 6-8 hours a night
As much riding as you're doing? Try 8-10, not 6-8. 6 hours a night of sleep after that much riding is simply inadequate for recovery.

I have the option of driving in any day. My commute is actually 70 miles each way, but I drive in-park-ride the rest. That's how I can vary the routine. Problem I have is that it seems as though when I hit the fatigue wall, it takes more than one day to recover. I'd certainly entertain ideas on ways to hasten the recovery time!

Thanks for the response!
Roger