Old 03-22-16, 08:00 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redbullet
After 7-8 months of riding and some 5000 km, I can keep now 30-32 km/h average speed alone for 1- 2 hours ... which means 2.7 W/kg for my weight of 76 kg.
... a maximum of 400W for one minute, which means 5.26 W/Kg, ... is my trainer power meter wrong, or do I make some wrong interpretation of the figures?
The "untrained" section of the table doesn't represent the "average" person (or even average cyclist). It mostly represents cyclists who were entering a training program with the intention of becoming racers (which is why they signed up with a professional coach). A new cyclist without the benefit of training in other disciplines (running, swimming, ball sports, etc.) will typically be well below the "untrained" level in all columns. But they don't go to cycling coaches, so coaches don't have data for them.

Your hard work (good job on the weight loss) has brought you up to the "Fair" level in long duration (FT) efforts. But the other areas each require different physical adaptations. If your self-training hasn't included the variation needed to develop those adaptations, you'll still test poorly in those areas.

1 min power is looking at your ability to make power at VO2Max and relies largely on anaerobic energy production. Your training (probably mostly sub-threshold work) has built a good aerobic base, but it's done little for anaerobic conditioning. To bring those numbers up, you need to do more high-intensity interval training. Essentially, repeated 1 min max efforts. Likewise, the remaining columns also have unique training requirements. The 5s power is all about neuromuscular recruitment and you train for it with very short duration max-effort intervals with very limited recovery time and supplement that with weightlifting. 5 min power will benefit from both aerobic and anaerobic training, but you can specifically target it with something like over/under intervals.

Don't get discouraged. You've built an excellent base, now you just need to supplement your training with some high intensity, low volume work to round out your abilities.