ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Thankfully the planes are very strong relative to their weight, and you don't have to deal with the limits of human physiology. I would imagine that most landings of model airplanes if scaled up would seriously injure any occupants Lots of bouncing.

I've only flown little stuff, so by the time the airplane was out of receiver range it was already too far away to see.

Flyaways are a thing with sailplanes, though. Get one hooked up in a really strong thermal and you'll need to say goodbye.

The hobby is so much easier to get in to now, I think. Quality has gone way up and price has gone way down. I remember when LiPo batteries and brushless motors first came out into the hobby world and they were stupid expensive. Now you can go down to a hobby store and pick up a ready to fly 4 channel brushless Pitts S1 for $200 that's even got a gyro inside which compensates for wind gusts and makes the little thing fly like a much larger airplane. It's crazy.

Plus with the 2.4Ghz stuff you don't have to worry about someone not checking the channel board and wrecking you when they turn their transmitter on.
Like with most things, somes better somes not. I love the 2.4 stuff. But I dislike the modern servos, they dont center very well. I miss the rechargeable radio gear.. putting alkaline batteries in my gear makes it feel like a cheap toy..
I was an early adopter of Futabas 9c radio when they introduced it. It was over $1k 6 months after I got mine. Still have it. Its outdated now.
I miss the professionalism that came with the old stuff. Its pretty chaotic at the field now. Its hard to instruct when there's 6 or more planes up and no one flys the pattern.
Nice that it's cheap though. I've spread my fair share of airframes out all over the field. I was 40' up in a tree trying to get one of my dads planes down in '16, I was sore for a week after that. 52 is too old to be climbing trees.
EDIT: The lower price is a double edge sword too. When prices were high you really had to want to do this. You paid attention to detail. Its different when it's just a couple of bux... people don't care as much. And it regulated itself. There are soooo many people at the field anymore its hard to get a spot on the flight line.

Last edited by ls01; 01-19-21 at 08:02 AM.