View Single Post
Old 02-03-21, 05:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have foldable Continental Gatorskins (I happen to love 'em but I'm sure there may be better options) in 700x28. Someone on this forum suggested running tires at a lower pressure to help with downhill riding. This suggestion literally changed my confidence in descents. I was running 23s at max pressure and the bike always felt glitchy and on the verge of losing control. With the 28s running at 80 psi it feels like a totally different bike - for the better!
It's more than you need in your front tire.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-air-s.../Drew-Eckhardt

The Continental website says 95-116 is the range for this particular tire. I weigh 155 lbs and haven't experienced pinch flat (knock on wood) with 80psi. I only ride on tarmac roads (no gravel) but there are occasional potholes that I do my best to avoid. Should I be concerned about running at this low a pressure? These are NOT the hardshell versions btw.
At 155 pounds with an all-up weight around 180 and 45/55% weight balance you might have 80 pounds on the front wheel which suggests 60 psi according to the 15% drop rule of thumb and 100 on the rear calling for 75 psi.

I'd leave the rear alone and see how the front feels with 10 psi less.

At your weight I start my week on 25mm GP4000SII tires at 85/95 psi and finish at 75/85 without pinch flat problems.

Likes For Drew Eckhardt: