View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 01:53 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Paint Stripes Totally Effective...

There are many cyclists who feel that the paint stripes that separate bike lanes from motorized traffic can't possibly stop a car from crossing over into the bike lane.

Well, on my bike ride this morning I saw plenty of cars who seemed to be unable to cross a painted line. Of course they were lane markers and center lines. And whether it was yellow or white, single or double many, many cars were unable to move over, even slightly, to pass safely, even when no other vehicles were in sight. I wish they would treat the bike lane stripes the same way.

By the way, many of the bike lanes here in Colorado Springs were still covered in ice in shady areas, so I did a little more riding in the roadway than usual...taking the lane when necessary, and even pulling over and putting a foot down to let traffic pass if there was a long line.

All in all it was a very nice ride with temps climbing from 45F to 60F by the end. There were plenty of courteous, thoughtful drivers as well, and even a couple of "nice-holes" who threw off my rhythm by yielding when they had the right of way.