View Single Post
Old 03-07-15, 05:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
SPD myth busting

I was an early adapter for clipless pedals with Look road pedals and shoes in the early 80's, but found them to be undesirable, and gave up on them rather quickly. Yes, they worked fine while riding, but are totally worthless the moment one stops. A total fail for me.
Clips worked much better for me as they're compatible with a wide selection of normal footwear, yet I still found myself using them less and less as their benefits are a wash for the extra effort required to use them for how I ride most of the time. I found that pinned platforms worked nearly as well as clips in most respects without any effort to use them.

But....I remembered there are times when the extra efficiency, and reduction in fatigue of foot retention for long rides is nice, so I finally decided to give SPD a try.

Pedals, Shimano SP-324 pedals which are SPD on one side and standard MTB cage on the other.
Shoe, Shimand CT80 multi use SPD shoe.

My impressions after the initial 25 mile ride home from the Issaquah REI where I purchased them.

Myth, they are potentially more dangerous/safer than platforms.
Its been almost 30 years since I last used clipless pedals, yet I was able to immediately clip in and ride with hardly any effort, and with the tension set to minimum, its so easy to clip out I can't imaging having a "clipless moment". Even after increasing tension, clipping out can be done without conscious thought.
While underway I was rather surprised by the amount of float, so really they didn't feel much different than pinned platforms. I've had virtually no issues with slipping off more aggressive platform pedals, and SPDs are ridiculously easy to use, so I think both sides of the "safety" issues with SPD are myth busted.

Myth, SPD shoes allow one to walk normally.
Maybe on smooth hard surfaces or carpet, but on anything else it becomes immediately apparent they are not normal shoes, so while they are light years ahead of road shoes for walking, there are still limitations, and they're not equitable to normal foot wear. Another myth busted.

Myth, clipless is more efficient and less fatiguing than platforms.
While I don't feel its the huge night and day difference some claim when compared to pinned or other high grip platforms, even my short ride confirmed they are indeed more efficient and less fatiguing for all the well known reasons. Myth confirmed.

Campus pedals do have the disadvantage that one must sometimes hunt for the correct side depending what one is wearing, but for my needs its a minor inconvenience for the flexibility they allow. I'm pondering on some sort of clip on weight that will keep the correct side of the pedal up for what I'm wearing.

Overall I'm glad I got them, but it basically confirmed something I already knew, that there isn't a truly superior or safer type of pedal.
IMO, that's the biggest myth of them all, and now consider it totally busted.