View Single Post
Old 03-26-20, 07:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Hmmmm .... First off, you broke the law. So it isn't "Mind your own business." You Chose to break the law. And public criminal acts are everyone's business.

Most of us would have done the same at that intersection---no cars, no need to stop. However, if I blow through a stop sign, I cannot complain if someone complains. I made the choice, I take the responsibility.

Yes, having someone yell at you can be upsetting. I have learned (and it has Not been easy) to immediately smile and wave if I can .... or not, .... but I try never to let it really affect me. Whether it is someone who thinks he is being funny, a total jerk, someone who doesn't realize that startling me might make me crash, or someone who wants me to crash .... I have it down almost to a reflex---I smile and usually say "Thank you" or some other such pleasantry. Otherwise I might do what I used to do---shout curses and make rude gestures. That just messes up my day and probably makes the shouter laugh with glee. No one who deserves to win, wins if I get mad. I win if I don't.

And of course, sometimes I slip .... but I always focus on my response, not the verbal assault. That way I can get back on an even keel quicker.

So ... yeah, it is sad but it could be a lot worse. When I rode daily in Central Florida, people would sometimes throw things or even swerve to "scare" a rider ... by actually endangering the rider's life, which we all know is really funny. Getting run off the road in the dark is nothing but humor.

But here is another scenario I faced;

I was riding safely, a reasonable distance from the curb so that I was safe and cars could pass, when I was screamed at from a passing car. I turned to shout some curses ... and saw two kids, maybe nine and seven, cracking up with laughter and waving. They were just delighted to see a fat man on a bicycle out in traffic. There was no malice in them at all---they were loving life and being friendly, in their minds.

So ... if I had not caught myself, instead of having a fun time and seeing a cyclist---sort of like a trip to the zoo---"Look at the funny fat man in spandex! Wheeee!" I could have left them with the impression that cyclists were snarly, screeching rage-filled animals. i could have scared them. Instead, I left them laughing.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-26-20 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For Maelochs: