Old 09-17-20, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
29 inches is the approximate outside diameter of an approximately 2 inch wide knobby tire mounted on a 700c rim. Fuzzy memory says that the specific tire was the 700c x 50 WTB Nanoraptor, and that they really did measure right about 29 inches. I was working in a shop when 29 started to happen, and as I recall, the reason that they called them "29 inch" instead of "700c" was that MTB wheels were 26 inch, and 700c was the road wheel size, and they didn't want to confuse anyone.

So they decided to confuse everyone.

Then, when the industry decided that MTB wheels should be 650b, they said, "well, 650b is 584 mm, which is in between 26" MTB (559 mm) and 700c (622 mm), and we called 700c "29 inch" when we put it on a mountain bike, so let's split the difference and call 650b "27.5 inch" if the wheel is going on a mountain bike, so that we won't confuse anyone."

Which confused everyone, by taking the original stupid thing that they did, and squaring the stupid.

If the industry had just called them 700c mountain bikes from the beginning, then 650b would have been 650b instead of 27.5" and everybody would know which tires fit which rims on which bikes, and we can't have that.

I often think that there is a meeting that happens every year at Interbike, where the product managers from the bike and parts manufacturers sit down and figure out what the things are that are comprehensible and how to change them to be more confusing. Tire / rim / wheel sizes are so diabolically confusing that it's gotta be intentional... nobody could possibly screw things up this badly by accident.

--Shannon
It’s actually more confusing than that. The whole lettering designation of the French system is a left over. Wheels with a 650, 650A, 650B and 650C are 4 different sizes of wheels and tires. The point of the letter system was to have wheels the same “size” (outside diameter) with different wheels. A 650 rim (597mm ISO or “Schwinn” size) was meant to be used with narrow tires so that the outside diameter was 650mm. A 650A (590mm or “English 3 speed” size) used a slight wider tire with the same outside diameter. A 650B (584mm) used a 1 1/2 inch tire and a 650C (571) was meant for 2” balloon tires. All 4 were supposed to have the same outside diameter. The 700 system had a similar sizing system. The 700C is about the only thing that survived and it was meant for wide tires...kind of fitting that it’s used for the “29er”.

I’ve been pushing using the ISO size at my co-op classes because of the confusion, especially when it relates to the 27” (630mm) vs 27.5er (584mm) conundrum. Lots of people come in looking for 27.5” tires and want to grab 27” tires off the shelf.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: