Old 07-31-11, 06:46 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Have you ever been this stupid.

I am reasonable wretch and even build my own wheels but yesterday on a long hilly century I was really dumb. I used my 2nd bike because the tires were almost new and did not want to take chances. Well before the ride I give it the once over and notice my rear derailler ( ultegra 10 spd) does not want to always like into the 11 tooth cog like I want. So I made a small adjustment and seem ok.

Well I start the 100 and notice that the rear shifting is not great on the last 4 small cogs. No problem right? In the interest of a fast time I will use the old barrell adjust and get it tuned perfect. Well I go at it and it only seems to make things worse and I am getting rub on the front derailler. Well in tighten it back up and then at least it works just not perfect but I can get into the high gears with a little work. Thinking when I get this crazy hot 100 out of the way I am going to really get the bike shifting perfect.

I get home and then the "dawn hits" what a dumb deacon I was adjusting the front derailler and how could I be so stupid? Well naturally a few turns and the bike at home on the stand shifts perfect. I keeping thinking, how stupid can I be not realizing this on the bike. I thinking I was so focused on not stopping and riding a good time and simply managed to not allow the brain to work. At least is was not an error that was dangerous but I just cannot believe I did that.