View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 03:07 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
I repainted a number of frames BITD. Repainting is a major amount of work. Having someone do it will cost $200 to $500, good jobs are at the higher end of the range. Also consider a nice newly painted frame with bad chrome looks - well you figure it out. Same with tatty components.

I had a frame repainted a few years ago - $300 +$50 for decals (extenuating circumstances).

I avoid buying bikes that need repainting. I flipped a few but I picked them up cheap for a friend and sold them for my costs.

On older frames you never know what you're going to find after you strip the paint off. Rust pin holes = tube replacements.

I've seen a few nicely done rattle can jobs done by people who took their time. Most LOOK like rattle can jobs!

I use a dental tool to remove small areas of surface rust in areas where the paint has chipped. After removing light surface rust I use Testors hobby enamel paint to mix up a close match. It will last a long time if you keep the bike in a dry area with low humidity.

You can also find auto touch-up paint at car parts stores.

When touching up, you're just doing a camouflage job, not a concors restoration. The bike just needs to pass the 10 foot test... anyone getting closer... GET AWAY FROM MY BIKE YOU PERV!!

Before and after:

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gitane1969TdF0004.jpg (99.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
Touchup4.jpg (94.9 KB, 120 views)

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 03-05-15 at 03:13 AM.