View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 01:25 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
It may be sacrilegious what I did by some peoples standards here but I had a rough Bruce Gordon Chinook that had many spots like these:

Bruce Gordon Chinook 1987 Plum

Bruce Gordon Chinook 1987 Plum

And had it powder coated it to this:

87 Bruce Gordon Chinook

87 Bruce Gordon Chinook

All in all cost me about $220 for powder coating (Groody Brothers), acquiring decals (Alan Wanta), a clear coat over that (GB), and some little red touches (GB). I'm happy I did it, and still need to build the frame up, and would rate powder coating 8 out of 10 compared to what was originally a wet spray paint job. If you just get a straight color and clear coat it would have been only in the $140 range which I think is just fine too. I got my wife's bike done at the same time and it was just one color and clear coat, and it made a HUGE difference in how well the frame looked. Don't know if that helps at all but I went through this and really have no regrets.

If you are anywhere near KC, then use Groody Bros they do a great job: Groody Brothers