Old 02-12-19, 09:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
[MENTION=373854]I still want to hear from someone in terrain like mine. Boston and New York are coastal cities. The skyscrapers both cities have and the tall, shear cliffs NYC has create serious and strong eddies, You can round the corner of a building and be blasted over by wind coming from another direction than you were just feeling. It makes accurate sampling tricky, and I guess it makes sampling a little less useful.
I don't think the coast has as much to do with your "serious and strong eddies" as the skyscrapers. Downtown Chicago and Atlanta have similar effects. Many years back I was looking at some plume analysis in urban areas. The best conclusion I could find was along the line that local block-level winds depended on wind direction and speed near the tall buildings in unpredictable ways.

It was fascinating, though. Some of the examples were city streets, comparing wind speed and direction to a local airport. Calm was the only easy correlation: calm wind at the airport meant calm winds downtown. Choose a random wind direction at the airport, and local downtown direction could completely reverse between 10 mph and 12 mph at the airport.