Old 07-28-19, 09:07 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Whoever has this, can you talk about the shield on the front of it and what you really get out of it. I understand the theory of why you would put one on a motorcycle, is it relatively all the same reasons? Is there a night and day difference in speed with it on there?
Hi Jedi....I find the fairing especially effective in heavy headwinds, with the trike, pedaling is in front of the rider, not below the rider as on regular bikes. The fairing shields the feet and any air flow disturbance that could slow the trike down is minimized. Some say the fairing doesn't come into play until after about 14 to 20 kph, before that its just wasted weight. I don't worry too much about weight as you can tell with my rig (except for overloading the trailer) and to be honest I rarely tour with the fairing. With the weight of the tour load and the recommended top speed the trailer is supposed to adhere to, the fairing is (in this case) just dead weight. The fairing is also an excellent weather protector, my feet are always dry in heavy downpours, and at speed the rain strikes my chest and face, which it would anyways without the fairing.
On tour in 2017, I'm riding with a friend who is riding a LWB TourEasy with a fairing

The TourEasy on tour just a couple of weeks ago, we rode the Pacific Marine Route on Vancouver Island BC Canada
Likes For Trikin':