View Single Post
Old 08-30-19, 07:39 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Hills........gotta love nature's handiwork! Practice, practice and more practice will certainly improve your climbing ability but here are some things I do that help me a bit. I say a bit because in the end it's spinning the crank to turn the wheels until you reach the top.

1. Bike Fit: I'm no expert on the finer points of bike fitting but if you're not comfortable on your bike, it makes it harder to pedal efficiently. I often see new cyclists with their seats very low and they are unable to use much leg extension. This limits their ability to apply power to the pedals. This may not apply to you but I mention it since you wrote that you are new at bicycling.

2. Plan your route: If you're driving to where you start and finish your rides, seek out less challenging terrain. You can view
elevation changes over a route in Google maps. Sometimes you end up with hills in both directions but often one direction has less steep slopes. Plan your route to tackle the steeper slopes earlier in your ride, when you aren't as fatigued.

3. Spin, spin, spin: You can spin your way up a hill in a lower gear (smaller ring up front, bigger rings in the rear) or you can stand and mash your way up in somewhat higher gears. Most of my life I miserably mashed my way up steeper hills. Now I miserably spin my way up hills.

4. Maintain momentum: Where terrain and traffic allow, the build up of speed in the approach to a hill can give you a bit of a boost in getting to the top. You have to balance your energy expenditure in building momentum with the energy you're going to need to get to the top. If the hill is not too steep or too high, occasionally a run in will make a hill climb almost pleasant. You need to master shifting to lower gears while continuing to spin your gears as gravity grabs you and tries to keep you from reaching the top.

5. Heat hurts: Even if you're in good shape, warmer days make long hills that much more miserable. If your fitness level isn't great or you're older or you take medications for things like high blood pressure, try to avoid overheating. Walking up a hill is preferable to ending your ride in an ambulance.

6. Rides don't have to be races: I think that many of us, myself included, have a distorted view of speed and time. We see the fit roadie racing past us up hills while we struggle or see the cyclist far ahead of us but can't see that they're on a motorized e-bike. While there's lots to do, give yourself plenty of time for your rides. Ride the flats at a more leisurely pace to conserve some energy for the hills. The more you ride, the better you'll get.

My non-cycling friends and family don't understand that while the hills are miserable, they are still enjoyable parts of my rides. Hills add substance and accomplishment. The downhill sections, however short and fast, would be less sweet without the exertion to get to the top.

Safe journeys