View Single Post
Old 07-07-16, 11:05 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
from what I've read, stages is a hit or miss. has anyone had experience with pioneer? how do they compare?

also, shimano just came out with the R9100, which looks pretty cool. it's the same concept as pioneer, with left, right, or both. kind of eager to see what that's all about. I've been very happy with shimano, so I wonder if their power meter will be in the same ball park in terms of reliability
i've wanted to test a pioneer but never have had the chance.

i can tell you in the past couple weeks that two pioneer users called me to complain about issues they had. both experienced the same thing: questionable power values (tending to be low), much back-and-forth with pioneer, no ability to test/calibrate the meter on their own...and ultimately no confidence in the values it throws off.

obviously that's just anecdotal. definitely dampened a bit of my interest.

i hope that shimano's offering will be cheap, reliable, and accurate. time will tell; i wouldn't pay to be a 1st gen tester, though, esp when there are proven offerings.

we get excited when something new comes out, but history has told us that EVERY PM offering has had problems at the early stages; some get resolved in time, others do not.

shimano's usually pretty great about these things. i guess we'll know more in 2017!