View Single Post
Old 10-25-16, 09:39 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Quick update: frame, fork, and rims received from Hongfu. All packed very well and damage-free, and all exactly as specified right down to no brake track on the rims. Frame weighs in right on target at 1060g and similarly 400g for the fork (uncut). The rims are a little porkier than promised at ~405g (390 claimed) but they appear to be very well made and accurate dimensionally (per my ERD and width measurements).

I also have the TRP Spyre and HY/RD flat mount brakes in my possession. As previously noted, converting the Spyre to work with Campy levers isn't a simple proposition, but I think I am going to try anyway I completed a CAD model of the Spyre caliper, including a detailed actuator arm which I will modify to account for the shorter pull of the Campy levers. Assuming I can have them CNC'ed for a reasonable cost and that I'm confident they'll work (!), I'll likely have ~10 sets made as I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this dilemma. Even if I don't sell them off, I can kid myself that my pair didn't cost that much because making 20 will be far cheaper (per set) than making 2.

I do plan to give the HY/RD's a try since I bought them. Undecided if I'll just hacksaw the arm to work with my Chorus levers (
), come up with a cleaner modification to the stock arm, or make a completely new arm (a la my work on the Spyre). I have time to decide because I am days (maybe hours) away from a second child which will put my life on hold for a week or more.

Side note on both TRP calipers: they have no interference issues with the Shimano Icetech Freeza RT-99 rotors. I only have the 160mm front so far but the fins easily clear the caliper bodies.

Pictures will follow as soon as I get a chance to take some worth posting.