View Single Post
Old 01-04-17, 09:40 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No offense intended. I really admire your conviction. But, seriously, you have made this build SOOO hard. I hope it all works out well. Nevertheless I am so happy with my standard wheels and caliper brakes. Done and done.
It's all good. We ride in two very different areas. From what I gather, you rarely exceed 25mph. I can point to several locations on my typical rides where I exceed 35mph, and a few where I break 45mph, and am forced to brake down to 0-10mph from that speed for a stop sign or traffic light. Do that a lot, especially in poor weather, and it kills rims. BTDT.

Yes, I am being totally stubborn about wanting Campy levers, white centerlock hubs, and flush thru-axles. I could be riding this bike by now if only I had gone with Shimano, black hubs, and accepted levers on my thru-axles. It isn't the 'disc brake' part causing the issues, just my uber-pickiness about components.

But, it's all good because in a weird way I find this stuff fun, even if it is irritating at moments. And my time for bike rides has been zilch these days. So I'm not missing out on anything waiting around for my next batch of parts that hopefully fit.