View Single Post
Old 02-16-19, 05:00 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those that have not read the link to the engineering paper, it is a good read. The paper dealt with exactly the same type failure.

Even after reading it, I have no plans to move away from DT drive ring style hubs. Even chipped, this hub could be easily disassembled without tools, any debris removed, and the remainder of the drive ring would easily finish the ride.

As was mentioned, very easy to carry spare drive rings. At ETOR another captain asked about the DT hub on our Ventana. At the end of the ride, as I loaded the bike, I demonstrated the ease in rebuilding the drive setup. Removed the wheel, slips off the freehub body without removing the cassette. Removed both springs, and both drive rings. Wiped them clean with a rag. Cleaned the hubs internal sliding splines by wiping with a rag. Lubricated and reassembled. Reinstalled the wheel assembly. Total time, explaining as I did the work, 10 minutes max. Replacing drive rings is less since no need to clean the used ones.

Last edited by PMK; 02-17-19 at 06:05 AM.