Old 08-18-19, 07:16 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

On more and more trains, the local company requires that bicycles be demounted and be no bigger than 120x90cm (~47x35"; No restriction on depth.)

As a more affordable alternative to the Moulton, I was wondering if a company had come up with a bike that would…
  • use quick-release solutions for every part that must be taken off the bike (wheels, fenders, saddle, handlebar, front and rear racks)
  • include fork + dropout + derailleur protections
  • demountable or folding pedals
  • include a light but sturdy bag that can be kept while touring
?

I have no idea how big the frame is on a regular bike. Would a minivelo be a definite plus?

Besides the size restriction, the idea is to to reduce the amount of time + risk of losing parts while demounting the bike on a train platform in a hurry.

Thank you.
  • use quick-release solutions for every part that must be taken off the bike (wheels, fenders, saddle, handlebar, front and rear racks)
>> Most Dahon/Tern folders are like this. Also the Tyrell.
There is no fenders that I know of that can be easily removed, though all of them will not impede the folding anyway. (same with rear racks)
Most folders don't take front racks, but most of the Dahon/Tern bikes have a front luggage truss for some lighter rack/bag.
  • include fork + dropout + derailleur protection
>> Usually whatever provided is inadequate if you are particular about it and you will have to DIY it with some protective tape.
You don't need dropout protection since the wheels stay on with most Dahon/Tern type folding bikes.
  • demountable or folding pedals
>> This is really up to the user, who can just buy Wellgo or MKS removable pedals
  • include a light but sturdy bag that can be kept while touring
>> Easy enough to buy one.