View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 07:43 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Why would a rinko be better than a good riding folding bike? Serious question, I've never seen a rinko bike. Is it just wheel size?
I think the Rinko system works because a typical East Asian (up till probably 1980's anyway) is 1.65m and not a 1.8m of a typical US guy.
The reason is that the bike frame does not break down, so a small sized frame with jutting parts removed is rather small (not too different from a mini-velo frame).
A larger frame can visually look smaller too if its held vertically with most jutting parts removed, but its still rather large placed horizontally.
A soft bag which can be packed tight against the frame/bike package also helps with the smaller appearance.

The Rinko system is also more in context with what is allowed on the Japanese transport system though the same rules may apply to other countries.
(ie. bike must be completely covered with a bike bag. Max size 250cm in total. Length less than 200cm.

While we may tout the merits of the smaller wheeled bike here, there are indeed some advantages to a larger wheeled bike.
1. Rolls better over road imperfections
2. Ultimately faster with larger gear inches and less losses due to less rpm.
3. Less heel strike issues with rear luggage/rack/panniers
4. Rolls over most short inclines better
5. More options for standard parts, touring bags, etc
6. More likely to find spares in a local bike shop

I have small wheel folding bikes as well as road bikes and recently a 650b folding Change Bike and ride weekly with/against road bikers with them.
The main benefits of a smaller wheeled bike are size, portability, niffy handling, lower gearing (and somehow more fun too)

Personally, I know I don't have the patience to dismantle/reassemble a bike in the Rinko fashion for coach/train travel.
Likes For pinholecam: