View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 02:09 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Why would a rinko be better than a good riding folding bike? Serious question, I've never seen a rinko bike. Is it just wheel size?
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
I know what "rinko" means in Japanese.

"rin" is written using the character for "wheel" and by extension, "bicycle".
"ko" is written using the character for "to go" somewhere.
Combined together the two characters form the word "rinko" which literally means "bicycle-go", or take your bicycle with you when you go somewhere.

Usually it refers to taking your bicycle on public transport, but is also equally applicable to putting your bicycle in a car and taking it somewhere.
On public transport in Japan, you need to have your bicycle in a bag so you don't get grease or grime on other passengers, so that's how rinko bags came about.

So, in Japan, one does "rinko" with any bicycle (as long as its in a bag if you use public transport). I do "rinko" often with Tern and Dahon folding bikes, but I have also seen plenty of people doing "rinko" with full size road bikes. When using public transport, they usually pop off the front wheel to make the package smaller, then bag the bicycle and removed front wheel, and carry the bag onto the train, or bus, etc.

So what exactly does "rinko" means in English??? Has it morphed into some special meaning above and beyond the original Japanese meaning, so there now exists a special type of bicycle known as "rinko bicycle" ???

Greetings from Yokohama.
No change in it.
It actually refers to the exact thing you mentioned