Old 01-21-20, 01:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use the KMC Missing Links that come with the chains. They still need tools to remove 'em tho, pliers or some makeshift tool. Missing Links are really tight at first, but loosen up quickly with reuse. I use Vise-Grip adjustable angle pliers to nudge 'em apart. Much easier on my hands. I've pinched blood blisters on my hands a few times using regular pliers.

Decades ago I used quick links that didn't require any tools. Wipperman links are the closest I've seen to those. I have Wippermans in my Amazon cart, might go ahead and order a set. They've actually decreased in price since I put 'em in the cart a couple of years ago.

There's a chain commonly carried by Walmart that includes a unique no-tools quick link. Can't remember the chain brand. The quick link has a spring metal plate. You just bend it slightly and it'll pop open. Some users claim it's not reliable. I used it for a couple of months last year and had no problems. It's still in a box somewhere. Only reason I removed it was to install a larger cassette and different rear derailleur, so that chain wasn't the right length.