adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
A New Raleigh Tourist
What's wrong with this bike?

Aesthetically, I find this bike unattractive...
If a bike serves its purpose--it gets people from place to place--there's nothing "wrong" with this bike. It's all an argument over aesthetics.

It may not be the most attractive bike. But I don't think it's unattractive, either. I get that this is a classic and vintage sub-forum, and most folks on this thread wish that a modern bike company would just simply make a bike that looks exactly like an old Raleigh Sports. But let's be realistic: That ain't going to happen. And especially not from a major/mainstream maker like Raleigh. If you want a modern three speed that approximates ye olde Raleigh Sports, I'd go for a Linus or Public.

As for tires, I like wider, fatter tires. Much as I love 26" x 1 3/8", you are limited to a width of 35 to 40 mm. I prefer wider. I love 26" x 2.0" or slightly fatter. I'll be building up a fatter-tire three speed at some point.

I know some folks (esp. in C&V) recoil from disc brakes the same way vampires recoil from garlic, but they work. And they definitely work scads better than what's stock on your 1965 Raleigh Sports, especially if you want braking power when it's wet out. I realize you can modernize brakes on old three-speeds, and I have: aluminum rims, Kool Stop pads, Tektro 559s. They work well, but definitely not as good as a disc brake bike. Plus, I ever have to clean dirty rims on a disc brake bike. So I can see why a modern company would spec them.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see everyone riding on a mid-century British three speed. And I love seeing people discover these bikes and refurbish them. But I'm also pragmatic, and appreciate that modern makers would even make a bike like this. If people ride it and derive pleasure from the experience, all the better. Maybe they'll consider a vintage three speed next?