View Single Post
Old 10-22-20, 08:15 AM
moshin

Bikes: 2019 Lynskey Helix Disc, 2018 Specialized Diverge E5, Van Moof S2, 1985 Schwinn Mesa Runner, and Unknown Bianchi Reparto Corse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a long term (20+ month) Keto cyclist. Keto keeps me on an EXTREMELY low amount of carbs/sugars.

For me I generally dont bonk and have a theoretical limitless Z2 endurance pace, however this comes at the expense of top end aerobic. Low carbs keeps your energy "bursts" flat.

Ive recently learned that I can use sugars to feed prior to, and during longer rides, which allows me to get some burst, and my body lets me get back into Ketosis surprisingly quickly. This could be just my physiology, or due in part to the fact that I've been in Ketosis for so long.

Also, if you are still consuming carbs and sugars enough to not be in proper ketosis, while in such a demanding sport like cycling you will likely bonk and have a bad time.

Long story short, if you cut out the carbs in such a demanding sport/activity you must be very thoughtful as to how you go about it. If you're just casually riding, not as big of a deal, but if you're looking to optimize your performance there are a lot of things to consider to find out what works best for you.
Likes For moshin: