View Single Post
Old 02-27-17, 07:58 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by af2nr
I've been doing this the 3 years I've been running tubeless and it usually helps quite a bit, however this tire has been mounted multiple times by multiple people with the same result... It was also checked at low pressure the last time, throughout the process. The Iron Cross rims are only rated to 45 psi and I've yet to go over 40 in setting them up or using them. After multiple attempts at "correcting" the deviated bead I took them to my LBS and we went through the whole process again with the same result. Maybe one spot continues to not seat evenly but that would seem rather strange when going through the process multiple times?
Last night, I helped my girlfriend mount a 700 x 40 Gravel King (42 actual) on an Iron Cross rim (with a tube). The tire bead was down in the channel in a couple spots. I lowered the pressure and tried to massage the bead in place, to no avail. Eventually, I pumped the tire up to 70 psi and that snapped the bead in place all around.

I wouldn't ride the Iron Cross rims at 70 psi, but it was safe enough for mounting. YMMV