View Single Post
Old 01-12-19, 09:11 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I live in a mountainous area. As I crested a 2 mile hill and start an equally long decent I notice an open tractor trailer size coal truck loaded to the gills pull out just behind me. No problem it's a 8-9 % grade and any truck over 20,0000lbs. is posted for max speed of 20MPH, so I take the lane and am already going just under 40MPH. Now the decent is single lane, the other side two lanes, straight most of the way. Imagine my suprise as this guy takes the other side passing lane to pass me. Problem is we are going about the same speed and he's over taking me at about a half mile an hour. Well there a right turn coming up at the base (hence the posed speed limit). and we are running out of room. He starts getting back in the lane squezing me over. Of course I immediatly go to the right but not the shoulder as it's full of debris and has those damn rumble "wake up" strips. Am now on the white line, he's a foot from me. I start to brake hard, but so does he as the turn is just about upon us. I just get behind him as he swings in and I see the back of the truck whip into the shoulder and almost hits the guard rail......I was almost the fly to his fly swatter.........of coures this was about a 1/2 second of time.
I use to trust truckers as professionals but they are getting worst and worse and I now have this road off my decent list forever. This guy nearly killed both of us as he almost lost control. I tried to catch him at a light a mile further but no luck even with the boatload of adrelin and a world record (for me) sprint......