View Single Post
Old 04-12-19, 06:13 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Stories like that haunt me. I've seen so many groups that frightened me because they didn't know what they were doing. Things can go wrong so quickly. The group in my story simply had no business being on the water when it was so windy. They were so inexperienced that they didn't know what they couldn't do. That sounds odd, but in my.mind that's even more important than knowing what you can do. I was so shocked when the adult leaders just didn't realize that they almost lost one of their kids. I'm thankful we were there.
absolutely on all accounts. I was lucky in that I had the training from and the example from my dad and the canoe club of being both aware, prepared and responsible. My dad has stories like yours of folks out there so unaware of what they were getting themselves into.

again, to reiterate what I said before, just think of the terrible ripples of sadness that you stopped that day, for the parents of that kid, the adults in charge, and the other kids.
cheers

ps, I just remembered the details of that radio documentary, it was a group of students where a flash flood came down a river basin and swept a number away, and the adults recounting their guilt of the dumb luck that they didnt die, but others did.