Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The whole notion of using women as ornaments for men's sporting events is cringe-worthy. I've been a fan of boxing since I was a kid in the 1960s and later an amateur boxer, so I remember a time before "ring card girls". Ring card girls are the fifth worst thing to happen to boxing, after organized crime, crooked promoters, the HBO team of Larry Merchant, Harold Lederman and Jim Lampley, and celebrity referees with gratuitous catch phrases (Joe Cortez, looking at you, buddy. Nobody cares if you're firm but fair. Just do your damn job and stop getting in the way. And Jay Nady... just don't. Retire. Stop refereeing fights.).

It's an embarrassment and insult to us all now that so many women are participating in sports at an elite level (swimmer Katie Ledecky is currently the highest compensated athlete for product endorsements, in part because she's squeaky clean in an era where so many "heroes" turn out to be badly flawed).

But if the job involves serious PR stuff, which includes shepherding celebrity guests efficiently through photo ops, grip and grins, etc., that's fine. That's been part of the job for interns and entry level hopefuls of both sexes in PR. They don't need to wear bikinis or hot pants for that unless it's a bikini and hot pants festival.
I'm not embarrassed seeing well dressed women presenting jerseys and trophies at men's bike races, if they were in beach wear I might be.
In modern European culture female 'beauty' is idolised whereas in other cultures and times like ancient Greece the male form was the 'ideal'.

If it makes you cringe or feel embarrassed then don't watch.