View Single Post
Old 03-13-20, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Been there. Done that. During a tour I got caught at 7,800 feet with a crappy rain shell. (I got a case of weight weenie fever when packing the day before I left for the trip.) Started to rain heavily just as I started the long descent. Temperature felt like the low 40s. Maybe even upper 30s. Fortunately, much of the descent was a pedaling descent. I had to hammer as hard as I could to generate body heat. My hands were like blocks of ice. Fortunately, I didn't need to use the brakes. I could have ridden passed a dozen moose in the creek next to me and never would have seen them. My only objective was getting off the mountain. Looked forward to the few points where the road ticked up so I could generate even more heat. By the time I got down into town, where it was dry, I had a headache was somewhat confused. My decision making was definitely impaired. Finally remembered where in town the local motel was and made it there. Took me a long time to raise my core temperature even with the heat blasting and taking a hot bath. Walked to dinner a couple of hours later and was still chilled and somewhat lethargic thinking-wise.

I'll never again go into a situation like that without adequate rain gear. I am planning to ride that same pass again this June. Hope the weather is nicer.
Godspeed, Indyfabz, godspeed!