Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 05-31-06, 03:15 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Tufo Tape....who else has used it?

Let me relate a recent experience. I used Tufo extreme to install the tubies on my Ambrosio rims for the SLX Guerciotti. I tried it mostly because I always seem to make such a mess with glue. Anyway, put the tires on, lined 'em up, pulled out the tape. Rode a few weeks and yesterday while doing regular maintenance on the bike, noticed the rear tire was definitely not centered. "Well there," sez I. "You need to deal with that." So I proceed to try to remove the tire by hand. Not happening. Try again. Jeez...it looks like the bloody tape on the tire is coming off. Try another couple of spots. No go. That tire is on there. Good thing I did not need to change it out on the road as there was NFW that I was doing it without some leverage. I ended up using a BFS to pry the tire from the rim. Oh and the residue is fun to get off, also. There was probably enough residue there to remount the tire.

Back to glue for me...besides I figured out how to do it without making a mess.

Lynn Travers

Photos