Old 07-30-19, 02:24 AM
Unsled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Versatile bike with upright seating position

First post...

I've been riding for a long time, but my wife has mainly been interested in other sports. Last year she got an old 3 speed trekking bike commuting and is now keen to start doing longer trips on mixed surfaces, although not proper mountain biking. This wouldn't be particularly difficult, save that she has to have a very upright seating position. She has a neck problem that prevents her from tilting her head back at all, even a little (she has a normal range of motion for tilting it forward, and it's comfortable holding it straight).

Her current bike is a boat anchor and the gearing is inadequate. It's also extremely harsh on mixed surfaces. A bike with gearing for climbing, that isn't a boat anchor, and that is compliant or suspended would be ideal. It does not need snappy handling. I measured her current bike, which has a comfortable fit, and the hand grips are about 20cm higher than the seat. The seat to stem distance is about 43cm. The plane of the handlebars is about 30cm behind the stem. She likes the large tyres (2.0" on 29" wheels) on her current bike.

Budget is flexible, but ideally under €1500/$1650. Trying bikes requires time and planning (options are limited locally). The best thing would be to identify the best two or three candidates, and then we can make a trip to check them out. Ordering a bike is a possibility as long as it can be returned.

We did try using a stem extender on an old touring bike. The ride was pretty sketchy between the reduction in handlebar reach and the raised centre of gravity. The position was comfortable, however.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. We're both looking forward to enjoying some longer rides farther off the tarmac.

Last edited by Unsled; 07-30-19 at 02:27 AM. Reason: clarity