Old 08-30-20, 08:35 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 67 Posts
I've always loved internal geared hubs and have extensively used Sturmey Archer and Shimano products. The issue becomes ease of maintenance and reliability. I ended up with a Shimano Alfine 11speed hub that I really couldn't maintain. I couldn't find anyone locally that would do maintenance on it. I could send it to Seattle but why not just put on a derailleur setup, let it get dirty. Clean, adjust and let it get dirty again. So simple, cheap and reliable. All I have left is a newer Sturmey Archer 3 speed with drum brake. Excellent hub. Three speeds are easy to take apart and adjust/lubricate. The bicycles I changed over to derailleur setups were all faster than the internal geared version of itself. I find I always beat myself to death with my great ideas. I finally give up and move on to the next great idea. Good luck with internal geared hubs.