View Single Post
Old 10-11-20, 05:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
I did 50mi+ of 12%+ repeats on a badly (at least by appearance) cross-chained 11spd drivetrain, and while it never broke, looking down at the chainline as I rode was disturbing.

I don't know the actual % loss to efficiencies, but I'd read the larger idler pulleys were very marginal gains, so would think a straight chainline would have to be beneficial.
Leonard Zinn has written a few articles on friction losses, chain line, etc. I am not going to put together a list of articles, but this one article i found rather insightful.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/gear-issue-friction-differences-between-1x-and-2x-drivetrains/

It is easier to see the graph from that article here.
https://www.velonews.com/wp-content/...5%2C871?w=1080

Even with a cross chained drive train on the larger sprockets, the friction losses in watts were not much higher than with the sprockets that had a better chain line.

For my riding on my bikes, when I think about chainline, my primary concern is not friction loss and whether or not it slowed me down, my concern is reduction in chain life.

I have bar end shifters on two touring bikes. One advantage to that is I can tell from the feel of the lever position about where my chain is on the cassette, that makes it much easier to avoid cross chaining than with a brifter where I have no feedback on where I am on the cassette when I shift until I run out of gears on that chainring and need to change the front derailleur. Thus, I am often cross chaining with a brifter for the rear derailleur, but not when using bar end shifters.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-11-20 at 05:46 PM.