View Single Post
Old 11-28-20, 05:25 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
There are at least three different products made for keeping the presta valver snug in a rim drilled for schrader.

1. A rubber grommet that snaps into the shrader hole and has a hole in it that fits a presta valve.

2. A metal collar that does the same thing.

3. A presta valve nut that has a shoulder on it that fits into a schrader hole. I believe the Schwalbe inner tubes come with this style nut as do a few other brands.

Brent
Happy Thanksgiving Brent!

This is Paul in the South Bay. I'm reading on bike forums now because I'm healing up at the moment.

I've converted quite a few 26" rims to tubeless. I've had good results using heavy UST tires and sealant, and goriilla tape on non-UST rims. Three or more good reasons for UST DH tires is that they have been cheap (haven't looked lately to see if there are any left), they are tough and excellent mtb all around mtb tires, they hold air, and because I seek the widest size that will fit they sit wide on the rim, they are possible to set up tubeless.

I haven't had to do this (except on my fat bike), but one tactic is to start with filling the tire up at first with an innertube, then on one side with the tire soft, squeeze latex on the bead/rim interface on one side and let the wheel sit for a day so that the bead adheres to the rim on that one side. Then on D-Day remove the innertube out of the loose side and proceed with the tubeless conversion. That way at least one half of the wheel is sealed to begin with.

I have not successfully converted non-UST tires/26" rims to tubeless. These attempts have always failed even after working for a couple of rides.

I have not used the ghetto slit 24" tube method yet, but I might soon.

My wife's primary SS which she rides a few times a week is set up with UST tires and it works as good as anything. I have one set up that way too, which gets at least one serious ride a month and the tires stay firm for months without needing more sealant.

The DH UST tires from that era were pretty heavy and generally have serious sidewalls and deep tread. They last a long long time. Maybe not the best thing for the weight weenies here, but I don't see much of a downside. Now I wonder if there are any on eBay anymore.

Alex makes a great tubeless 26" rim. They've been sold out recently though (I have a pair on back-order). I have a wheelset built with these and some true Maxxis 26" tubeless tires, and it's the better way to go. Still, those UST DH tires are the bee knees going downhill!