View Single Post
Old 12-15-20, 07:04 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Altitude, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Rad Rover, Specialized Levo Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Here's some basic suggestions:

For black diamond type stairsteps and drops, you need to commit and have a certain amount of speed through the features. Momentum (not necesaryly fast) but just a bit more than enough is key. Also keeping the momentum is very important. Hitting brakes and such through features is not good.

Choosing the right line is very important. On new stuff I'll sometime stop and look for the proper line before attempting even walk it if need be. Things look different and easier off the bike. This is a great way to build confidence.

Also body position, different for going up and going down. Some of the blue less difficult trails don't penalize you for incorrect body position, Blacks diamonds will. Lots of good videos on the net showing proper body positioning.

Elbow and knee/shin guards are a must. Not only do they protect you, they give you confidence. If you're riding blacks, you're going to fall at some point. I ride with Fox D30's.

Always push your self a little but know the limit of over confidence. Ride a little bit out of your comfort zone as mention by WannaGetGood.

Find a riding buddy with similar or better skill set. I find riding with someone give me more confidence on the big stuff.

Keep at it you'll improve!

Last edited by CodyDog; 12-15-20 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For CodyDog: