Old 12-19-20, 11:38 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 271 Posts
With a tubeless tire, sealant is the first line of defense for small punctures. If the puncture is too big for the sealant, you can probably plug it with a simple, small, cheap plug kit. Beyond that, any slice big enough will require that you glue a patch inside the tire. This size hole would be big enough for a blowout with a tube anyway. At that point, If you have too far a distance to walk, you'd best just boot the tire inside and out a tube in it. This is exceedingly rare. When I pull a tire off the rim, there are dozens of little boogers from where the sealant plugged small holes.

I've been riding tubeless for about a decade and the frequency of flats that cause me to stop are about 2–3 times a year. That's on Texas terrain where cactus, mesquite, and sharp limestone ledges cause the stragglers using tubes to stop 2-3 times per ride. I top off my sealant every few months and carry a pump, CO², tube, and plugs. I've gone through a few tubes in the past few years and only one was for my own bike. The rest were for bailing out unprepared riders whose tubes had failed them.
Likes For mack_turtle: