Old 04-07-20, 06:59 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, but what's he supposed to use for power zones? Those plans usually call everything out as % of FTP. He's probably been using HR zones, so that could be a starter. When one uses HR for setting interval effort levels, one always goes too hard to start with and then gradually levels down to sustainable or more probably a little below because of the harder earlier effort. So a good approach is to take a wild guess at FTP. So if the interval calls for 95% FTP (SS interval), try to ride at a steady power will will give you 95% of your LTHR at the end, and that'll be ~95% FTP. An all-out 1' interval might be 180% FTP, so if one is doing a 1' interval, go as hard as you can, see your average power, and calculate from that, ignoring HR.

One could also simply substitute the CTS FTP test for any Z4 interval workout: https://trainright.com/cts-field-tes...-calculations/

If he's going to do this training plan by power, there's his learning curve right there. That's what I did, started using power right in the middle of a year-long training plan.
i am certainly no expert but i agree with this. i am upside down compared to the OP. i had a PM only because i had a smart trainer, i just got a HRM. i could have used it as a proxy for power but there is nothing like having the real thing to guage your effort by. however you the OP measures FTP i would do it, he can always adjust as you say.

-scott

i'll add that when out on the road i will need to use the HRM as a power proxy. with more use on zwift with power and heart rate i will have some good numbers to use as reference points.