View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 02:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i still have a lot to learn now that i am gathering data. below is from a zwift training i did a couple of days ago...

before i really started looking at the data i made the incorrect correlation that a rising heart rate indicated increased power output, not so according to the big circled data. the small oval is what i had expected every time (black == power, red == heart rate).

and what is your definition of effort vs long effort? a small 15 second micro burst of power being a short effort? based on what i see below i would agree.

For anything under about a minute, heart rate isn't useful in real time, because HR itself isn't in real time. It's roughly an average of what you've been doing over the last 30-60 seconds. Does that matter? Depends what you're doing. Tabata intervals, yeah, HR responds too slowly to be a useful target to titrate your effort at the time.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using HR, just filling in some technical detail so you or anyone else reading this can get better use out of their stuff.

You can use a power meter to pace yourself in a long term way, by modeling your fitness and cumulative fatigue. So if you have an important ride coming up and want to perform well, you can do a better job of scheduling workouts to be at your best on that specific day. And even though I have a power meter, I use HR for this instead.