View Single Post
Old 03-08-14, 08:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Another thing I find offensive is how some people are so car-centric that they automatically associate an adult riding a bike with either poverty, or having fallen on hard times, bad luck, etc. There was that commercial for a title loan service or something like that, where it showed a woman riding/wobbling along on a big-box store bike, saying "you think I WANT to be riding this bike??" with the premise being that this loan money can help you buy those NECESSITIES, like a car.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I was not offended…

Originally Posted by irwin7638
This has really reached an unusual turn with the mention of the commercial. I don't remember seeing that commercial, most of the bicycles I see in commercials are of people riding cruisers and hybrids along tree covered streets with shops and coffee houses, etc. advertising a new drug…
Actually, I’m not sure I saw that particular commercial either, but you described it well, Patrick, and I'm sure I have seen one similar.

At a local hospital I have seen a poster advertising a new type of joint replacement surgery (Makoplasty) on which is a picture of a smiling middle-aged couple with the man’s hands on bicycle handlebars. So while bicycling can be depicted as a pitiful act of desperation in some commercials, other ads use cycling as a desirable paragon of health.