View Single Post
Old 01-02-17, 11:29 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Hey, however you folks want to justify your bike addictions is up to you.

Seriously, I think it's very common for enthusiasts of any stripe to have more than one of something where the rest of the world would see no need.

Not long after my first post in this thread I came face to face with something I salvaged 15 years ago with every intention to fix and never did. I came very close to tossing it but still haven't. Instead I spent an hour on the Internet searching for replacement parts, - even though I have plenty of other things that I should be fixing first including one of my bikes.

I have a real problem throwing stuff away that I think still has a useful life. In this case it's an old cuckoo clock. If you've never opened one up, they are as cool as hell, - especially the way the bird whistles work. Nevertheless I've decided that if I don't fix it in the next month, out it goes. Maybe I'll list it as a freebie on craigslist. Even if I do fix it, there's no way my wife will put up with it anywhere in the house. The novelty would quickly wear off even for me, so at best it's destined to be sold. I should have never picked it up in the first place.

I will acknowledge that when I saw it today, the first thing I felt was this pang of guilt. So maybe there is something to this idea that extra stuff is really just a drag on our life. I only have a couple of bikes now, but I've got a whole lot of parts from when I used to have more. It is a drag, because I can barely fit them in my parts bin. Again, I hate to throw out stuff that might be useful to someone, but come next spring, most of it is going, one way or another.