View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 07:48 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
There are a couple of really good videos on YouTube that covers the Mini and gives pros and cons of the device. For the price, it's not a bad computer if you are the type of rider that doesn't need GPS on every ride but would like to have it on certain rides. year. It was the same claim they made with the RFLKT but if you ride more than the average cyclist, as I do, you'll be changing batteries much sooner. I get 2-3 months on a battery with my RFLKT.
For most riders that use/ride multiple bikes, and before the introduction of GPS cycling computers we would buy a bunch of inexpensive cycling computers, Cateye, etc.... install on separate bikes, maybe get the same model for each bike so the controls are the same, then setup each computer for that particular wheel and tire size. A nice Cateye wireless might run you $25, so I'd be spending about $125-150 to equip my 5 bikes. Maybe a bit more.

Or option B is to use a GPS unit that doesn't care about wheel and tire size, then and as a result of the GPS being more expensive, switch the GPS from bike to bike.

The Mini can use GPS if it's BT connected to a smart phone, but can also use a provided speed sensor. If you don't want to use the smartphone for GPS and have multiple bikes, you need to buy extra speed sensors @ $40 ea. For me it's now $100 for the Mini plus a sensor, plus another 4 sensors @ $40 ea., so $260 ?. Hopefully the Mini can tell what sensor it is paired to when you switch bikes, or do you have to tell the unit that you switched to a bike with 26" mt. bike tires ?.

I guess I could enable BT GPS, but does that run the phone battery down ?,

That starts to get pricy and at that point I'd rather just use a Bolt or Garmin.