Old 02-21-19, 02:04 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Actually, there's a specific disease that allows the extreme performers to be extremely flexible. Later in life it causes them serious health issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/rare-m...ry?id=29054612
"...The secret to his extraordinary flexibility, Smith said, is a rare medical condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)..."

"If they do it properly" is often an easy way of making excuses for the fact that often it doesn't work. If the program works supposedly it's because of the program, if it doesn't work it's a game of scapegoating the blame elsewhere.

"It's not unusual" is kind of a marketing way of way "this seems to work for 10%-30% of people".

This seems to be a projection of what you're doing, not what the other poster is doing. You've read some online marketing and now making over the top marketing-level claims here.
Actually...

Do you seriously believe all gymnasts are afflicted with a disease? You are arguing it is impossible to use stretching to improve flexibility?

Are you able to read my entire posts, did you specifically miss this section?

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Professionally I've put dozens of riders on the Kit Laughlin stretching protocol as recommended by Steve Hogg.
I've been fitting cyclists professionally since 2013. Stretching works to improve flexibility for many many more people than it does not work for. As I stated in my post, I have had upwards of 40+ cyclists run through the Kit Laughlin protocol, after which I lowered their position by 1-3 inches and moved their stem forward 10-30mm while at the same time move their saddle back the same amount. I have follow-ups from 31 of the cyclists that they were happy with the fit after a full season and have seen 18 of those 31 repeatedly as they return for fit adjustments due to aging, injury or other issues.

I also saw cyclists who have no change in flexibility from stretching, become more flexible but do not have the musculature to adapt to a new position, or have other issues that only come to light once we begin moving their working space on the bicycle. As I stated, these are unusual cases and the small minority of cyclists I have worked with.

PaulRivers, what has been your experience using stretching for bicycle fits? What has been your experience using stretching to improve flexibility along a fixed range of motion? Do you have an educational background related to physiology, kinesiology or massage?