Old 02-21-19, 03:17 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm posting as someone who doesn't think the OP has anything to do with the sort of stretching a gymnast might do.

And yeah, I would bet money that gymnasts are generally "born" more flexible than average people. Genetics does play a large role in this.

Also, it's nice that people attribute postural changes to the stretching exercises, but that doesn't mean there isn't a huge placebo effect there and they might have been able to get into those positions 3-4 weeks out without the stretches. Nothing in the literature where they've actually studied it shows effects on joints as dramatic as what you're describing.

I'm posting as someone who does a rather large amount of riding in various postures, doesn't do stretching, and isn't missing it at all.

OP's question was essentially "do I have to, and when?" My answer is still that he doesn't have to, but if he likes it, go ahead.
Please share the link(s) to whatever studies you have that show the effects of stretching on cyclist position and flexibility. I haven't looked in a while but last time I did a few years ago the only literature was branded studies from Specialized and a saddle company that escapes me (Fizik?).