View Single Post
Old 07-22-20, 11:23 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
The best solution to your problem is to throw a leg over, it will be $80 well spent.
In regards to a dropper post, if you need one you may be on the wrong type of bike, you would be better off with a 29er hardtail.

One of the great things about a gravel bike is that it is much lighter than more traditional MTB bikes. A dropper post defeats that purpose.
Well it wouldn't just be $80. I'd probably be looking at $80 a test ride per day, which would probably add up if I don't narrow my shortlist significantly. But I get your point though, the feel of the wheel will seal the deal.

Also, I think dropper posts are silly on gravel bikes too. Probably just as silly as adding 8 pack leafs and E-range tires on a Tacoma! ( fourfa ) Not only is there added weight, the dropper adds a significant amount of harshness to the ride. I've got one on my mountain bike, and I've actually considered removing it because it significantly harshens the ride. There significant singletrack gnar in and around Pisgah though, so I've kept it on. My gravel bike is kept off of the gnar though and the singletrack it sees is usually just to cut through somewhere for a short distance.