Old 02-11-20, 09:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by najmer
Did you noticed some benneits on your cycling from running, or rather some negatives?
naj -- Like mentioned above...'something' is better than nothing. Running (and swimming) will contributed to your cardio conditioning...but of course you're using different muscles. So, you obviously have to get on the bike. I haven't been able to seriously train for triathlons for the past couple of years (due to a serious knee injury one season, then hip replacement after that). But I will tell you that when I am tri training...I purpously do at least one workout per week where I do a relatively short, but very hard bike ride...5-10 miles...followed immediately by a run of just two miles. but I only do sprints and up to Oly distance. If you doing longer tris, a longer one of these might be more appropriate. It's like an actual transition in a race. I refer to them at my transition workout. It gets your legs accustomed to switching from the bike to the run. For me...they definately help.

Interestingly, on a somewhat related topic, I've been reading that there are some triathletes who are adjusting cleat placement on their cycling shoes. They're modifying their shoes to place the cleats way back, close to...or almost directly under their heel. They get just as much (or more) power on the bike, and this set up saves their calf muscles for running.

Dan