View Single Post
Old 09-26-19, 07:01 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
You probably aren't aware of the injuries on American MUPs because injuries are not widely reported, and there is near ZERO mechanism to gather injury data on MUPs. It would not be unfair to say that if it didn't happen on a road and it didn't involve a crash with a car, it didn't happen.

Yes, injuries on MUPs are rare, but not as rare as you think. Example, five injury crashes in a two week stretch on a single tree root on the Minuteman, one requiring 911. The tree root was quickly repaired. I can think of three bikeforums members who have been injured by crashes on Greater Boston MUPs.

So, now to Korea:

But many of the bike paths along the rivers in Greater Seoul (Kyonggi-Do) are WIDE. Many kilometers where pedestrians are separated from wheeled traffic. Quite a few where each direction of the bike path are separated from one another.

That said, there are bottlenecks where the path gets pinched, typically with speed limit signs (20 kph seems common), and lots of pedestrians (and crossing pedestrians) when the path goes along the edge of one of the many parks. Yes, there are far more people on the river trails in Seoul, but it's 100 km of trail, versus 16 km of Minuteman. Except for the pinch points, it doesn't feel that crowded, and I never feared for my life or limb. (Many of the "speedsters" also like to ride to music like they are in an outdoor spin class, so I could hear them coming from a long way away.)

To a first approximation, uncommon is common in Seoul. The hoverboards fad (and the e-skateboards, and the onewheels, and the solowheels fads) arrived in Seoul a few years ago, and yeah, some folks push the limits of sane speeds. Many of them learn painful lessons. Daming with faint praise, e-kickscooters seem rather bland.

-mr. bill
I’m confused. Did the MUP cause the injuries or was it the tree root?