Old 07-10-20, 05:37 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
Here's my ideal bike. A mix of old and modern.

For my builder, I'm going local and will pick British Columbia's Chris Dekerf. I would commission him to build me a fillet brazed frameset (perhaps utilizing Dekerf's signature rear seat stays) along with a custom stem that leans towards the endurance side of things - all-day comfort that can handle 28mm tires (future-proofing) but snappy enough to handle long climbs. For tubing, I'd go with Ultima 019 Gold from Kaisei (nee Ishiwata - sort of). As for colour, I'll keep it B.C. themed with red, white, blue and a splash of yellow. Chromed drivetrain-only stay along with dropouts.

As my ode to C&V, I'd have 128mm rear spacing (can handle both 126mm and 130mm hubs) and 1" headtube diameter for a quill stem. A Chris King headset and bottom bracket will be installed.

For wheels, I'll go with a pair of late 1980s or early 1990s Campagnolo Record hubs with quick-release skewers laced to Mavic GL330 rims using double-butted DT Swiss spokes. Tires will be Challenge Stradas. Bars will be Cinelli wrapped with some nice gel-infused tape, saddle with be a titanium-railed Selle Italia Flite perched atop a C-Record aero seat post, from the same era as the hubs.

The drivetrain will consist of a modern Sugino OX2-901D crankset with 48-32 chainrings (think long hills), Speedplay pedals, a seven-speed C-Record derailleur set with Doppler retro-friction levers, a top-line KMC chain, and a 13-26 freewheel. Braking will be handled by a pair of modern 9000 series Dura-Ace calipers (stopping is important!) and matched to early-1990's Dura-Ace 7402 levers. Cables and housing will be Jagwire's elite series with aluminum link housing.

Now to win the lottery. Dekerf frames don't come cheap!

Chris Dekerf frameset

Chris Dekerf Frame
I have a 1998 Dekerf Prodigy in Reynolds 853. I particularly like his seat stay treatment and his workmanship is second to none.

Likes For Wileyone: