Old 11-12-20, 01:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Honestly I dont think its the performance that creates the hubbub. I think its the artwork of the lugs. The nostalgic feelings when we see a bike we wanted when we were younger. They are nice bikes, comfortable etc. But riding one probably wont convince you to go out and get one. Just my humble opin.
I'm sure the nostalgia plays a part for some people. I know it's why @gugie has around a dozen Gran(d) Sport(s) in the Atelier at any given time. For me, it's more about the comfort and the beauty. In terms of comfort, In my experience the upper range of Raleighs are smooth and all-day comfortable. Sort of like ancient ancestors of modern Surlys. The Raleighs feel less overbuilt than Surlys. They don't have quite as much tire clearance or all the convenient braze-ons, but the ride is better and compared to a lot of vintage bikes, they do have pretty good tire clearance.

But honestly, the real draw for me with the International is the chrome lugs. I'm a sucker for chrome lugs. I prefer the Nervex, but the Capella are certainly more distinctive and I don't think I've ever seen them on an International before.