View Single Post
Old 08-15-04, 05:38 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Feltup
Your kidding right? If we ran out of gas you would lose your job and have to find a new food source. It ain't going to happen anytime soon but when it does we will all be affected. I think there will be an alternative long before fossil fuels are gone.
That's possible that I might lose my job, but doubtful. The people I work with that live 60-70 miles from work will feel the fuel crunch a lot sooner than I will.

I was thinking more of the crunch where everyone freaks out about the high price of gasoline. That will do pretty much nothing to me. I'd like to think that more expensive oil might influence the amount of it being used in fertilizer, perhaps resulting in more locally grown, organic crops, which would probably make me healthier. The conflicts between those with oil and those that want it will probably effect me a lot more. The lack of fuel for global shipping will probably be one of the main things that would effect me, but most trucks and trains and ships run on deisel, which can readily be substituted with organic products like ethanol - this is already happening in my state, where they offer hibred deisel for many commercial vehicals. There is a lot of grain that is either thrown away every year, and farmers paid not to grow anything in this country. Those crops could easily be used to create viable alternatives to fossil fuels.

There will probably be a lot of SUVs sitting and rusting, but I don't mind that either.

I give it 10 years, but I've always kind of wanted to see modern civilization fall. Go figure.