View Single Post
Old 02-02-21, 09:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
On January 23rd I was admitted to the hospital with A Fib that happened on my ride. Thankfully, I only got two miles out when it hit the fan. Luckily the way back was flat to downhill. After 18 hours in the hospital, I converted naturally to a regular rhythm and was discharged in the afternoon.
I'm on a blood thinner and beta blocker and am wearing a monitor until Feb 11. I have a stress test on 2/17 and a follow up with the cardiologist to go over the monitor and stress test results on 3/17. The stress test is chemical (Speed or similar)and they will be looking at my heart as it happens.
The good thing is I am considered a low risk but am looking forward to the results so I know what lies ahead for me and what changes and limits I'll have.
I've been processing this for a week+ and haven't posted until i had my follow up yesterday and got some more information. I left the hospital pretty much in the dark which is bizarre. It's not like I was the first person to be diagnosed. Something like "you've been diagnosed with A Fib here are the 10 things you need to know" Alas, no dice.
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that."
Sorry to read this. I had a minor issue with it a few years ago and it was a problem getting anything from the docs. Got to hear how I "look good for my age" until I asked one of them to stop saying that. Insurance declined a consultation with a cardiologist until I had seen the second doctor twice, I think, and by that time the symptoms had subsided.
My problems may have had a lot to do with overdoing it on fast rides. Plus, I am a bad stress manager.